Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 22:20:28 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

Spike wrote:

>         I think that in ten years, Linux will be going strong and FreeBSD
> will have whithered. I don't think this is because FreeBSD is
> technically flawed, or that the core team and developers aren't doing
> a good enough job. I think this because in the end FreeBSD is going to
> lose to Linux if only from the sheer momentum of twenty million rabid
> Linux fanatics. And realistically, we aren't doing a damn thing about it.

You're wrong, if for no other reason than because *I* will still be
using FreeBSD.  You, like so many others here, seem to think that
FreeBSD is somehow in a competition with Linux for users.  This is not
so.  As I have said before, let Linux teach them some of what UNIX is
about, and the ones that are smart enough and interested enough to
look further will find FreeBSD.  The rest of them, we really don't
need.

If you want to write a kernel configuration program, write one.
Writing it as a shell script is NOT going to satisfy the legions
of clueless Linux users who are used to clicking their way through
YET ANOTHER butt-ugly box full of buttons Linux luser program for
configuration the kernel du jour, so be sure to plan how you're
going to make an X application, too.  My suggestion is learn a bit
about Tck/Tk.

Now, can we end this stupid bleating?