Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 22:51:30 -0400
From:      Robin Woolard <RWoolard@NewWorldApps.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FDISK and extended partition...

I have a large hard drive that I'm trying to partition for FreeBSD.  I've
got my primary partition set up in FDISK and I am trying to set up the rest
of the drive as an extended partition.  The FDISK help does not mention any
partition type numbers *except* for the native FreeBSD partition type (165).
I have been using the online installation manual and there is a reference to
an extended partition on one of the graphics (check out Figure 8-4 at
http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/sgml_prev/fdiskall.html).  However, there
is no mention of extended partition type numbers in the text of the manual.
According to Figure 8-4, the type for extended is 15 but when I try to enter
15 as a partition type, I get a type of "extended dos, LBA", not "extended"
as in Figure 8-4.  I do not want a DOS partition type.  I would like to use
a FreeBSD extended partition type if possible.  Does anyone know what number
the extended partition uses or where I can find a list of the partition
types and their respective numbers?

Thanks,
R. Woolard