Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:45:28 -0800
From:      "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

Found the answer.  Only a suspicion though.

When I had RH7.1/Samba, there was no skips, I told you.  But, when I finally
moved to FreeBSD, my mp3 was skipping.  I couldn't even watch movies
anymore.  I said it would only happen after about a minute was through the
song.

What I didn't think to correlate was the amount of free space on the client
machine which is my Windows98SE laptop.  There was like some 40MB free left.
I didn't set a partition specifically swap on the Windex machine either.

Hence, I was right about my theory.  It was reading the cache faster than it
could be written because there wasn't much space to write a larger cache.
Thus, it was skipping.  I re-installed this evening the laptop.  No more
skipping.  But then again there is more than 2GB of space open.  No more
skipping.

Back to my original theory.  FreeBSD rewls!  Yeah!  Around about the same
time I installed Visio on my laptop which took a lot of space.  There was
already a lot of clutter on the hdd to begin with.  Visio exacerbated the
problem.

Now, no visio.  Woohoo!