Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:46:15 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Organisation change for the Handbook

Hi folks,

People seem to be a bit more active on this list recently, so I'm reposting
something from November last year.  Now that the DocBook conversion is
done I'm looking at this in more detail, and would appreciate comments.

Sean Kelly, Jordan, Eivind, and Sue Blake[1] will recognise some of this.

Also, this is long, sorry about that.

[1] Do you know you've arrived in the FreeBSD project when people just
    refer to you by your first name?

			   Handbook Reorganisation

  The basic idea is simple.  The Handbook has grown fairly organically, and
  can be reorganised.  This reorganisation should reflect how people use the
  Handbook, and allow for currently missing content to be slotted in more
  easily.

  This should also make it easier for projects, such as "FreeBSD Installation
  Guide" or the "Programmers Documentation Project" to slip right in to this
  framework.  If necessary, people can maintain their own books out of the
  main FreeBSD doc tree, while still maintaining the FreeBSD look and feel and
  integration with the rest of the docs (if they want to, of course).

  The Handbook's target audience needs to be understood.  The Handbook should
  be catering for the spectrum of people who, at one end, have never heard of
  Unix or FreeBSD before through to those people who are very familiar with
  FreeBSD, but who need a useful reference, or want to know as much as
  possible about a topic they haven't yet covered (for example, printing).

  This is likely to yield quite a schizophrenic document unless tackled
  carefully.

  The gist of my proposal is to split the Handbook up in to a number of
  smaller books, containing between 70-150 'pages'.  These would then truly be
  *hand*books. Each book should tackle one topic, and not repeat information
  from one of the other books.  For example, if a book's topic requires that
  the reader reconfigure their kernel (for example, Firewalls), they should be
  directed to the appropriate part of the "Configuring FreeBSD" book, instead
  of repeating that information there.

  A seasoned system administrator will be able to go to whichever book tackles
  the task they are trying to complete, without getting bogged down in
  extraneous detail.  Someone new to FreeBSD will be told "Read these 'x'
  books first (which cover installation and configuration) and then go and
  read whichever of the other books talk about what you are interested in" to
  bring them up to speed.

  Note that it should be assumed that the reader has at least some OS
  experience.  I think it is biting off more than we can chew if we assume we
  need to teach OS basics as well (although that could be a topic for another
  book in the series, which would give the user enough knowledge to then move
  on to some of the others).

  Each book conforms to a similar organisation.  They begin with an overview
  explaining what will be tackled by that book, and what the user will be
  able to do when they have completed the book.  Any prerequisite knowledge
  that the user must have is also outlined here.

  The rest of the book then works through whatever that section is talking
  about, until the user has done whatever it is they want to do. In general,
  if the section requires hardware ("Printing", "Modems", "Ethernet". . .)
  then the installation and configuration of that hardware is covered first --
  this should cover the physical installation of the hardware ("Plug in your
  ethernet card in accordance with the manufacturers instructions") and the
  configuration necessary to get FreeBSD to recognise the hardware ("Add the
  line "device ..." to your kernel config file and rebuild your kernel. If you
  don't know what this means then please read the "Configuring your kernel"
  book"). Then the software is covered. In some cases this might include
  several different applications. Finally, a "Further reading" section can
  cover books, magazines, web sites, and other books in the series.

  Here's how I see the new books shaping up.  Note that a lot of the
  content doesn't exist yet.  My comments are bracketed by '[' and ']'
  after each book.

  Note that the ordering of books here is *not* implying an order in which
  people should be expected to read them.

Book 0: Read This First
  Conventions in this documentation (foreward? preface?)
  Introduction
  Differences from. . .
    - DOS
    - Linux
    - Solaris
    - SunOS
    - BSDi
    - NetBSD
    - OpenBSD
  Obtaining FreeBSD
  Installing FreeBSD
    - PC Hardware Compatibility
  Unix Basics

[ This is the one that everyone should read first.  There's no reason why
  the "Installing FreeBSD" and "Unix Basics" chapters couldn't be
  separate books in their own right. ]

Book 1: Configuring FreeBSD
  Overview
    - What you can configure
  Making configuration changes
    - At boot time (start up)
    - At run time
    - In the kernel
  Further reading

[ If you want to configure FreeBSD then read this.  /etc/rc.conf, rc.local,
  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*, how to configure a new kernel, sysctl and other
  tunables.  This talks about the process, rather than how you would configure
  any particular option.  Another book might say "Add the foo device to the
  kernel", this book explains how to do that. ]

Book 2: Installing Applications
  Using the ports collection to install applications
  Installing applications by hand

[ Self evident ]

Book 3: Monitoring and limiting users
  Overview
  login.conf
  Disk quotas
  Process accounting
  Further reading

[ Self evident ]

Book 4: Security
  Overview
  S/Key
  Kerberos
  SSH
  Further reading
    - Firewalls

[ Self evident.  Content shamelessly taken from the security section in
  the existing Handbook ]

Book 5: The text console
  Overview
  Syscons
    - Virtual terminals
    - Fonts
    - Using the mouse with syscons
  PCVT
  Further reading

[ Doesn't currently exist, probably should do. ]

Book 6: Printing
  Overview
  Hardware setup
  The LPD Spooler
  The LPNG Spooler
  Printing to printers on other computers
    - Windows NT
    - Linux
    - Macintosh
  Further reading

[ Shamelessly taken from existing Handbook ]

Book 7: Using modems and null modems (serial connections)
  Overview
  Before using a modem with FreeBSD
  Using a modem/serial line to talk to remote hosts
  Further reading

[ Based on existing content in the Handbook ]

Book 8: TCP/IP Networking (the Internet)
  Overview
    - IP addresses, netmasks
    - Gateways and routing
  TCP/IP
    - PPP
    - SLIP
    - Ethernet
  DNS
  NIS
  Security (firewalls)
  Further reading

[ A reordering, and an addition to, existing content ]

Book 9: Electronic Mail Servers
  Overview
  SMTP
    - Sendmail
    - Qmail
  POP
  IMAP
  Further reading

[ Doesn't currently exist.  Would explain the basics of SMTP, what an
  MTA does, and how to use the popular ones ]

Book 10: Electronic Mail Clients
  Overview
  FreeBSD
    - Mutt
    - Elm
    - XFmail
    - PINE
  Windows
    - Eudora
  Macintosh
    - Eudora
  Further reading

[ Doesn't currently exist.  This is where the Mutt/Pine/rmail fanatics
  get to fight it out with one another.  Include chapters explaining how
  to configure common MUAs on other platforms to read their mail from
  FreeBSD ]

Book 11: File sharing
  Overview
  NFS
  SMB
  Coda
  Appletalk
  Further reading

[ Self evident ]

Book 12: Time/date synchronization
  Overview
    - NTP
  Being a time server
  Synchronising from a time server
  Synchronising NT to FreeBSD
  Synchronising MacOS to FreeBSD
  Further reading

[ Self evident ]

Book 13: X11
  Overview
  XFree86 / XiG
  Window Managers
  Useful X applications
  Further reading

[ Self evident ]

Book 14: Applications
  Overview
  Mathematica
  Doom
  Quake
  Further reading

[ For those applications that crop up a lot in -questions, or where someone is
  motivated enough to write something.  Could probably include StarOffice and
  Word Perfect in this list as well. ]

Book 15: Staying up to date with FreeBSD
  Overview
    - Choosing -current?
    - Choosing -stable?
  Getting the source
    - FTP
    - CVSup
    - CTM
  Updating your system ('make world')
  Further reading

[ Mostly based on current Handbook content ]

Book 16: Emulation
  Overview
  Linux
  SCO
  DOS
    - dosemu
    - pcemu
  Further reading

[ A reorganisation and addition to current content ]

Book 17: Localisation
  Overview
  Russian
  German
  Further reading

[ From the existing Handbook ]

Book 18: Contributing to FreeBSD
  Overview
    - What is needed?
  Bug reports
  Documentation
  Code
    - Source tree guidelines and policies
    - Changes to existing code
    - New code
    - FreeBSD Internals
    - Kernel debugging
  Application ports
  Hardware/architecture ports
  Money, hardware, or Internet access
  The committers guide

[ From the existing Handbook ]

Appendices
  Bibliography
  Resources on the Internet
  FreeBSD Project Staff
  Contributors
    - Donors Gallery
    - Derived Software Contributors
    - Additional FreeBSD Contributors
    - 386BSD Patch Kit Contributors
  PGP Keys

[ This will, I think, be split up.  Most of the new books will need their own
  biblios, so that section will probably disappear, as will the "Resources on
  the Internet" section.  PGP Keys might move to "Security" as well. ]

Thanks for reading this far.  There are two more books at the back of my mind
that aren't on that list yet.

The first is the "Doc. Proj. primer".  If you take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/, that's pretty much what I'm expecting one
of these books to look like[1] (in terms of amount of content, level it's aimed
at, and so on).

The second is the Committers Guide.  This might be part of the "Contributing
to FreeBSD" book, or it might be one on its own.  I'm not sure yet.

Comments welcomed,

[1] Yes, I know I've got to commit the primer to the main tree.  After not
    staring at it for a couple of months I'm rewriting a few bits that are
    either confusing or wrong prior to committing.  Expect it by the end of
    this week.
--
                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole