Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 03:05:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ls -G seems to depend on TERM=xterm-color

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 03-Jul-00 Doug Barton wrote:
> > Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:

> >> That's because the "color" escape sequences are defined for xterm-color
> >> in termcap; xterm-color is defined as a superset of xterm (see the tc=
> >> directive).
> >
> >       Right... I am down with all that. I just wanted to confirm that the
> > colorized ls depended on the xterm-color setting.
> >
> >> I have a lot of X resources defined, and here is one that
> >> could help you guys:
> >>
> >> XTerm*termName: xterm-color
> >
> >       Ok, that's a good solution, I was just using .bashrc. My point is not
> > so much why, but that it be properly documented. Do you want to handle
> > the update of the ls man page, or do you want me to PR a patch?
>
> Umm, honestly, this shouldn't be all that non-obvious.  Do you expect
> ls -G to work on a monochrome monitor?  Of course not. :P  The xterm
> termcap is by default a monochrome terminal.  sysinstall doesn't have
> color in an xterm either w/ term=xterm.

Well, I'm not really using xterm, I use Eterms, and I've NEVER had this
problem before, so it was non-obvious to me. I know the Eterms I'm using
are capable of displaying color ls output, because it does so when logged
into shells. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but if the xterms
aren't capable of displaying color due to it's termcap, how come I can set
the fg (text) to any color I choose, and they show up?