Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:31:12 +0200
From:      Lassi <joffrey.lassignardie@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [SoC2011 Status Report] pkg convert - Week 13

Hi,

This seems to be the last report for this year's GSoC so, here is a
summary of my project and how I experienced this adventure.

The project:

The goal was to write the "convert" command for pkgng. The purpose of
this command is to convert binary package from an "external" format
(only rpm for the moment) to the FreeBSD future "internal" format (txz
archive with metadata files).
Initially, the project was supposed to handle rpm AND deb packages but
due to a number of incidents during the second part of the timeline,
pkgng works only with rpm packages (I'm still working on some bugs
with the metadata file).

What I liked in this adventure:

First of all, I want to thanks Bapt (my mentor) and all the guys from
#pkgng. This was a really nice experience to work on this project with
them. They are cool people and they were always there when I needed
help.

During this GSoC, I learned a lot, about ports, package management,
the FreeBSD project and his organization... However, the sad truth is
that I learned more than I have contributed to this project.
Hopefully, it is only the end of the GSoC, and I will continue to
write code for pkgng on my spare time.

Another interesting thing in this project (and maybe the more
exciting) was the discovery of what's normally hidden. Actually, it is
unbelievable to see how many people work on free software and it was
fantastic to join those people and to be on the "contributor" side for
once.

As a conclusion, that was a very nice and instructive adventure and I
hope this will continue on this way.

Regards,

--
Joffrey ``Lassi'' Lassignardie