Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:34:29 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        joe@pavilion.net (Josef Karthauser), gbeach@cybernet.com
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

As Josef Karthauser wrote:

> I'm using gettimeofday which returns:
>
>      struct timeval {
>              long    tv_sec;         /* seconds since Jan. 1, 1970 */
>              long    tv_usec;        /* and microseconds */
>      };
>
> I've no idea of the actual system resolution, ...

RTFM clocks(7).

> BTW a question to the hackers... does anyone have any plans for
> adding a real-time scheduling class, aka threads under solaris?

There's already a pseudo-realtime scheduling class available, see
rtprio(1).  This has, of course, nothing to do with threads at all,
nor will it be true realtime, since there's still the problem that
scheduling doesn't happen while running in kernel context (i.e., the
kernel cannot be preempted -- Solaris seems to have gone great lengths
to create some preemption points for long-time running kernel
functions).

--
cheers, J"org