Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:24:01 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash2 or devfs problem?

Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> wrote:

> I've noticed that bash's process substitution fails under -CURRENT.

Yes.

> Is this a bash problem, or something in devfs not working as expected?

Both.  Sort of.

devfs provides /dev/fd/[0-2], but does not cover any additional
file descriptors.  It does not provide fdescfs functionality.  bash's
autoconf test checks whether /dev/fd/* is supported, succeeds for
one of the stdio descriptors, and mistakenly concludes from this
that full support for all file descriptors is available.

There are two ways to fix this.  You can simply mount fdescfs:

fdesc /dev/fd fdescfs rw 0 0

Or you can disable the test for /dev/fd/* during the bash build.
In the absence of a functioning /dev/fd, bash will fall back to
implementing process substitution through temporary named pipes.

I've sent unanswered reports to bash-bugs and to obrien, and I have
opened a PR (#48434).