Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 11:09:53 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slices named X in FDISK

On 3/3/00, 1:53:36 AM, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote=20
regarding Re: Slices named X in FDISK:

<snip>=20

> > >Your 'X' partition, which *must* be a primary to use for FreeBSD=20
comes
> > >after the extended partition. This is not allowed. All primary
> > >partitions must come before the extended partition.
> > >
> > >HTH

Dear Mark Ovens,

I am not sure that your remark is fully correct and generally valid.

I HAVE installed one FreeBSD slice of mine *after* an extended=20
partition. More precisely, on my 3rd IDE disk, the first partition IS=20
extended and contains a Linux installation; the second partition (in=20
DOS parlance) IS a FreeBSD slice containing part of an experimental=20
FreeBSD installation of mine (ie its /usr FS).

In the FreeBSD installation in question, I use "b0ff" flags for my=20
third disk; Linux and FreeBSD see the disk in the same LBA fashion=20
(same "geometry") :-)=20

Needless to say, that FreeBSD installation of mine appears to work=20
like charm.

Incidentally, I seem to recall (Linux+FreeBSD mini-howto et al.) that,=20
if one wishes to install Linux in an extended partition AND FreeBSD on=20
the same disk, one is advised to put the Linux extended partition=20
*before* the FreeBSD slice(s). Otherwise, Linux may get confused and=20
#@=A7^*+=A3$%&? [wild screams of despear trimmed and censored]

Best regards,
Salvo    =20