Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:25:02 +0100
From:      Alessandro de Manzano <demanzano@iol.it>
To:        james <wabit@adl.ussr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help please - Hard Drive Controller Problem - UDMA66 - Mounting problems now too

> Thanks for your response..... I've definately turned the other controller off, and using the fixit disk, and vi, have managed to change the /etc/fstab file..... to ad4 etc, instead of what itused to be (ad0)

Mmm.. FreeBSD apparently still see the Promise controller as ATA2/3, so maybe the I/O address of it should be changed as ATA0/1 ?
Does the Promise have a user accessible BIOS, like many SCSI controllers ?
Something like pressing ctrl-a or similar during the POST boot phase ?

if yes, maybe you could check into it if the settings are correct for use as primary and secondary ATA controllers.
Just a tought :-)

> I imagine the 'no such file or directory' errors are the major problem - and unfortunately one that I have no idea how to fix - at this stage, if I try to mount the partitions to their right places, I get the same error....

Maybe you had to create the approriate device nodes in your /dev dir.
I've just checked into mine (4.2-stable) and I've only upto "ad3xxxx", nothing with "ad4xxxx" and so on.
try something like, as root, "cd /etc && sh ./MAKEDEV ad4 ad5" and then check with "ls -l /dev/ad4*"

Just another few Euro-cents :-))

--

bye!

Ale