Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 13:01:01 +0800
From:      Peihan Wang <peihanw@mx.cei.gov.cn>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   executable not stripped

I downloaded pine-4.05 source code from
ftp.cac.washington.edu.

I compiled and installed it without any
problem. But the executable file 'pine'
is a little big -- 3.13MB. I do the following:

$ file /usr/local/bin/pine
/usr/local/bin/pine: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand
paged dynamically linked executable not stripped
$

Other executable files come with FreeBSD packages
do not have 'not stripped' string when doing a file
command.

I think if I change the CFLAGS in the makefile
of pine-4.05, I can get an executable file without
'not stripped'.

I searched man page of cc, but did not find string
'stripe'.

Any suggestions ?

Thanx!