Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin Keyser <keyser@clio.rice.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: systat gives Fatal trap 12

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Kevin Keyser wrote:

> I have 2.2.5R running on a 486/33.  Sometimes (about 1 in 5) when I run
> "systat -vmstat" I get the following:

> fault virtual address   = 0x229150f3
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf011b45e
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff10
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbfff54
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 197 (systat)
> interrupt mask          =
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks...
> <and so on>
>
> Has anyone else had this happen?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Can't say I have here.  Try rebuilding systat.

FYI, the failure happens in here somewhere:

gdi,ttyp3,~ftp/pub,63>nm /kernel | grep f011b
f011b790 t _pipe_close
f011b578 t _pipe_ioctl
f011b60c t _pipe_select
f011b6d0 T _pipe_stat
f011b038 t _pipe_write
f011b7b4 t _pipeclose
f011b950 T _ptrace
f011bfc8 T _soo_ioctl
f011bf90 t _soo_read
f011bfac t _soo_write
f011bf78 T _trace_req
f011b950 F sys_process.o
f011bf90 F sys_socket.o

It's either the pipe_ioctl or _trace_req...