Date:      15 Feb 1995 13:34:10 -0500
From:      peterb@telerama.lm.com (Peter Berger)
Subject:   Re: Waiting for SCSI devices to settle?

In article <9502151120.aa13247@kate.ibmpcug.co.uk>,
 <jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK> wrote:
>system hanging after it finds the pci hardware and scsi controller, and says
>"Waiting for SCSI devices to settle"  after 5 secs or so the
>Adaptec controller light stays permanently on, which I am told is a bad sign.
>The system hangs like that indefinitely, (well I waited 30 mins anyway:-).
>
>Yet, sometimes, it boots ok and there is only a 2-3 sec gap after the Waiting
>For message; the drive is found as sd0 and the splendour of FreeBSD awaits
>usage.

This sounds like a classic example of a SCSI termination problem.
Quadruple-check to make sure everything that should be terminated is and
that nothing that shouldn't be terminated isn't.

You also might want to try:
	1) bumping down the transfer rate on the scsi bus.
	2) Turning off sync negotiation if it is currently enabled.

Good luck.

  Peter G. Berger, Esq.  Telerama Public Access Internet, Pittsburgh
Internet: peterb@telerama.lm.com Phone: 412/481-3505 Fax: 412/481-8568
	   	 	http://www.lm.com/~peterb