Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:20:25 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Aijaz Baig <aijazbaig1@gmail.com>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding the rationale behind dropping of "block devices"

On 16/01/2017 4:49 PM, Aijaz Baig wrote:
> Oh yes I was actually running an old release inside a VM and yes I had
> changed the device names myself while jotting down notes (to give it a more
> descriptive name like what the OSX does). So now I've checked it on a
> recent release and yes there is indeed no block device.
>
> root@bsd-client:/dev # gpart show
> =>      34  83886013  da0  GPT  (40G)
>          34      1024    1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
>        1058  58719232    2  freebsd-ufs  (28G)
>    58720290   3145728    3  freebsd-swap  (1.5G)
>    61866018  22020029       - free -  (10G)
>
> root@bsd-client:/dev # ls -lrt da*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x4d Dec 19 17:49 da0p1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x4b Dec 19 17:49 da0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x4f Dec 19 23:19 da0p3
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x4e Dec 19 23:19 da0p2
>
> So this shows that I have a single SATA or SAS drive and there are
> apparently 3 partitions ( or is it four?? Why does it show unused space
> when I had used the entire disk?)
>
> Nevertheless my question still holds. What does 'removing support for block
> device' mean in this context? Was what I mentioned earlier with regards to
> my understanding correct? Viz. all disk devices now have a character (or
> raw) interface and are no longer served via the "page cache" but rather the
> "buffer cache". Does that mean all disk accesses are now direct by passing
> the file system??

Basically, FreeBSD never really buffered/cached by device.

Buffering and caching is done by vnode in the filesystem.
We have no device-based block cache.  If you want file X at offset Y,
then we can satisfy that from cache.
VM objects map closely to vnode objects so the VM system IS the file
system buffer cache.

If you want  device M, at offset N we will fetch it for you from the
device, DMA'd directly into your address space,
but there is no cached copy.
Having said that, it would be trivial to add a 'caching' geom layer to
the system but that has never been needed.

The added complexity of carrying around two alternate interfaces to
the same devices was judged by those who did the work to be not worth
the small gain available to the very few people who used raw devices.
Interestingly, since that time ZFS has implemented a block-layer cache
for itself which is of course not integrated with the non-existing
block level cache in the system :-).