Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:56:34 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org> writes:

> : ... 'installkernel' is not filling it's contract: it is
> : not ensuring that the next boot uses the new kernel.
>
> Are you sure you need new bootblocks?  I've not had issues and am
> pretty careless about when I do installworld vs installkernel.
>
> You need them for the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade, but I didn't think you've
> needed new ones for a long time now.

In case you've forgotten, in another month or two,
thousands of people are going to be upgrading
from 4.x -> 5.0.  Those are going to be people
who don't regularly read -current or even -stable.
The upgrade process right now is getting pretty
ugly and needs to be cleaned up some before
release.

Tim Kientzle