Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 18:31:33 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Robert Sowders <rsowders@igsmn002.wr.usgs.gov>, stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-2.2.5-BETA, /boot.help is missing -Reply

>On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 11:43:21PM -0700, Robert Sowders wrote:
>> after boot run dmesg and see if psm0 is disabled.
>> if it is, look in your kernel source and remove the line disable from
>> the device psm0 line.  then remake your kernel and reboot.
>> it should be there now at /dev/psm0.
>> kernel source at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>
>If that should be the case, could we then remove the disable token
>entirely ? Or is disable necessary to be able to disable the driver
>when autoprobing wasn't successfull ?

The keyword "disable" means "do not probe the device". The probe
routine of the device driver will not be called.

You will see

	psm0: disabled, not probed

in this case.

If you don't put this keyword in your kernel configuration file, or
you enable this device driver in the UserConfig, the kernel will call
the probe routine in the device driver.

If the device driver reports that device probe has failed, the kernel
wont' attach the device. This action is alwasy taken if the probe
fails.  The keyword "disable" has nothing to do with this.

You will see

	psm0: not found at 0x60

in this case. You may also see additional error messages.

Please examine the boot message, or the output from `dmesg' to see
which is the case with your system.

Kazu