Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:56:08 -0700
From:      "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>
To:        "'Joseph Noonan'" <jfn@msc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Bizarre Networking Problem

> Well the problem is solved, but I am not happy about the
> solution as it makes absolutely no sense to me.
>
> xl0:
> flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=3<rxcsum,txcsum>
>         inet 192.246.38.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 255.255.255.0
>         inet 208.23.240.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 208.23.240.255
>         ether 00:04:75:b0:24:12
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active

Your nic is set autosense. While probably not the only culprit, if you
can manage your 3com switch, hard set the port and your NIC to 100 full
duplex.

It may not solve the problem, but its one more variable eliminated.

I was running a HP 4000M and all the machines set auto. I did a code
upgrade on the switch and all of sudden performance went in the gutter
because, for some reason, autosense "broke". Once I hard set 100fd on
everything, performance was once again stellar.

The broadcast for 192.246.38.10 is wrong too.

You shouldn't have to run in promiscous mode to solve this... Doing so
is going to kill your CPU when traffic gets high.

Brent