Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:04:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
To:        Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ansi colors in ports

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

> Why does freebsd ports not use ansi colors? This would be so nice :-)
> Eg. ECHO_MSG would be so much more visible within the compilation
> soup. Gentoo uses colors too!

In fact, some ports do use ansi color for some things.  It pretty much
depends upon the source.  Many applications are written to compile in a
variety of environments, including those in which compiling from an
ansi-capable terminal is not guaranteed.  I think porters should do as
little to the source as possible, and that maintaining other applications
would be a better use of their time than forcing pretty-pretty on a compile
that should run only once.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html