Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:38:50 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   root

There's a tutorial for newbies at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/
which really does start from the login prompt!

Pretty soon it gets to the part about adding a user for yourself and
not doing everything as root. Now to unix people it makes good sense to
restrict yourself as much as possible, but I've always found that a bit hard
to get used to.

All of the books tell us oooh, watch out, if you're root you might
accidentally delete something! Well this is my computer and I've been
deleting files on it for years, never asking anyone. How come suddenly I
shouldn't trust myself to touch the damn thing after all these years? I
should always be allowed to do what I want on my own PC. I killed two other
operating systems to install FreeBSD and then someone's saying watch out?
It's still my computer after all.

So I wasn't convinced but eventually I did it the right way and didn't log
in as root unless it was necessary. Now I'm pretty used to the idea and even
like it, but I've always wondered, do other people find it so hard to get
used to working with that restriction?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-