Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:30:52 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging Firewall

So I'm being a total masochist. I've never used FreeBSD before, and
got it installed on a truly ancient 486 DX2/66 with 32 MB RAM
yesterday night. It seems to run well (a helluva lot faster than I
thought it would on such ancient hardware) and I'm pleased so far.
I'm reasonably certain it can handle what I want it to do, based on
the research I've done. I was surprised at how little horsepower it
takes to run a decent firewall.

Goal: To add a second NIC to this beast (it has one currently) and
turn it into a bridging firewall using ipfw and the bridging kernel
options. I've never built a custom kernel before, so I'm diving in,
waiting for the appropriate chapters to get spat out of the printer
before going any further. :)

Secondary Goal: To add support for my Panasonic CDROM drive, which is
accessed through an old Creative Labs SoundBlaster. I don't care
about sound support, and I haven't installed X (don't need it on a
firewall box) so the only reason the card is in the machine is that
it can't be driven by any other type of card (even though it has a 40-
pin interface like an IDE drive- that was quite annoying).

I think I'm pretty comfortable with the process as described, and
worst-case is I have to blow my install away and start over (no big
deal at this stage). However, there's one question I'm not certain
about.

If I want to add a second ISA Ethernet NIC (I have two GeniusLAN
10BaseT NICS that work as NE2000 NICS) do I have to run the MAKEDEV
shell script before or after rebuilding the kernel, or does it
matter? I assume it's after, from what I've read. Anyway, the plan is
to back up my kernel, follow the directions on the web site and
configure an new one, rebuild, then use MAKEDEV to add the second
NIC. After that, assuming it all goes well, I guess I'll start
playing with bridging and the firewall rules on a dummy network I
have here.

Comments, suggestions, and/or belly laughs at my ignorance would be
appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Corey Snow