Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:47:45 -0230
From:      "Jonathan Anderson" <jonathan@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Tim =?utf-8?q?=C4=8Cas?=" <darkuranium@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UTF-8 by default?

On 20 Jul 2016, at 9:13, Tim Čas wrote:

> So, without further ado:
> 1) What are the reasons that UTF-8 isn't the default yet?
> 2) Would it be possible to make this the default in 11.0? What about
> 12.0?
> 3) Assuming an effort is started towards making UTF-8 the default,
> what changes would be required?

At least according to one of my students (who makes more extensive use
of i18n than I do), enabling UTF-8 by default is pretty straightforward:

https://github.com/musec/freebsd/wiki/Common-setup#utf-8-support

If there's anything missing there, I'd love to hear about it.

Jon
--
Jonathan Anderson
jonathan@FreeBSD.org