Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:36:59 -0500
From:      Anber Rybar <vile@usmo.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ln -s

Thus spake Jonathan Chen (jonc@pinnacle.co.nz):
> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Anber Rybar wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > The copy of ln that ships with FreeBSD will make a soft link to a directory a
> > hard link.  I want to know why.
>
> No it doesn't; as the following demonstrates most clearly:

Yes, I discovered my err shortly after sending that message.  It was that when
running ls and rm I was using bash-2.0 filename <TAB> completion.  This,
unfortunatly, placed a / at the end of the soft link, forcing it to be handled
as a directory.

--
( "Lay my hands on heaven and the moon and the sun and the stars." -Trent R. )
( vile@usmo.com  * Prime Minister,  The Yalta Underground *  I am sanctified )