Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 10:50:06 GMT
From:      ports-xf86-mouse@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/167654: x11-wm/twm - no mouse cursor

The following reply was made to PR ports/167654; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: ports-xf86-mouse@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, rfg@tristatelogic.com
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 12:42:01 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello,

 I happen to observe similar things. I have both a USB mouse and a PS/2
 mouse, and for the USB mouse /dev/sysmouse ist automatically created by
 moused. (Note that this ums-moused-autostart logic has been deployed
 rather recently with the /etc/devd.conf update of November 2011.)

 Although my xorg.conf explicitly specifies /dev/mouse (which points to
 the PS/2 mouse) as my pointer device, the X server actually attaches to
 /dev/sysmouse, rendering /dev/mouse unused. Since in my case the USB
 mouse does not exist physically (it is on a Microsoft Bluetooth dongle),
 I have no X pointer.

 I dug a while in the xf86-mouse sources - it appears that /dev/sysmouse
 is actually being preferred in any case.

 Stopping moused makes my normal PS/2 pointer reappear.

 Helge