Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:29:27 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NMBCLUSTERS over 4096 dangerous in any way ?

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 03:24:09PM -0800, Josh Brooks wrote:
>=20
> Ok, understood - that answers my question and the one I just posted.
>=20
> So ... in 4.4 KVA space was, by default ... I forget ?  So I guess my
> question has now morphed into:
>=20
> - if the machine is doing nothing but firewalling (so there are no other
> demands on KVM/KVA) how high can you set NMBCLUSTERS to before you start
> to get close to the default KVA in fbsd 4.4 ?
>=20
> (actually I think the default is the same in all 4.x, just the method of
> changing it is different)

I think the bottom line is that a) You appear to need more NMBCLUSTERS
to handle the demands on your machine, so b) you should try increasing
them, but c) if the machine starts to panic from resource shortages
then you know you either increased them too much, need to tune other
resource usage to allow the higher NMBCLUSTERS value, or need a bigger
machine :)

Kris

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--