Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:36:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1014858101.df197b@mired.org>
Cc:        Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telecommuting

Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org> types:
> My boss has just asked me to come up with a proposal to start allowing
> our staff to telecommute. I have to have an interim proposal by
> the middle of next week. If any other people out there have done this,
> what are the issues I need to be aware of ?

You need to ask some questions about your organization, and
you need to know what to do with the answers once you get
them, before you can give a plan.  You are probably going to
need more time, or at least, have a staged plan.

Here are my rules of thumb, and how at least one staged
plan that I thought was successful actually worked.

--

There are people who can telecommute, and people who can't.

There are managers that can manage people who telecommute,
and managers who can't.

What's right for your organization really depends on your
managers, and the people that are under them.

Some people will simply not be productive if they don't have
someone breathing down their neck, or if they don't have a
work socialization that they expect, e.g. they may have to
see other people being productive for them to be productive,
or they may simply need a synergy to be effective (sales is
often this way: competition between two people within an
organization is often more profound than competition with an
outside, but less personal organization).  There are very
few technical jobs for which I would be willing to hire
someone who I didn't believe was at least capable of
contributing while telecommuting.  Regional facetime for
sales also requires that ability, or at least partial time
in common with internal competition (e.g "salesman of the
week/month/quarter", etc.).

Likewise, there are managers who are used to managing
contractors, and who are simply constitutionally unable
to deal with not having weekly or even daily progress
reports, counted off against a Microsoft Project schedule
in hours.  Other managers feel as if it's their job to
run interference with the organization, and act as a
buffer between outside demands and their employees, and
obtain resources, etc., necessary for the employees to do
their jobs effectively.  Obviously, though, this can be
taken to an extreme, as well.

Personally, I would not hire someone who needed to be
micro-managed.  I would also not hire a manager of
contractors -- one who felt the need to micromanage --
unless I was dealing with serious budget constraints on
the people I could hire in under them, or if I were
indeed utilizing contractors.  For anything having to
do with bottom line value of the company, production of
intellectual property, job roles requiring the building
of expertise, etc., I simply would not hire contractors,
since at the end of the day, you don't own anything
tangible, if all your organizational knowledge is invested
in people instead of process, or if your ability to
reproduce your product walks out the door every 6 months.
There are valid reasons for ISOs.

This may not seem like an answer to your question, but it
is a necessary prefix to the answer.

In order to come up with a plan that is correct for your
situation, you have to know ahead of time about the
employees, and the managers to whom they will be reporting,
and how they will react to reduced lines of communication.

The easiest way to start without a huge investment of
resources is to set aside a couple of offices.  The people
who are put in these offices are "telecommuters".  They
are not permitted to interact with other people at work,
except by phone, email, etc.: means available to them via
telecommuting.  If you plan to permit presence at meetings
via conference calls, then they should attend via conference
calls, even though they are technically in the same building.

If there are meetings where you would "fly in" or require
mandatory physical attendence, then make that an "office day".

Do *not* permit them to use the same office for the test,
and for "office days" (for example, if you are allowing them
2 or 3 days a week telecommuting, then if there is a laptop
involved, allow it to be moved, but if there's an important
paper that was left in one place or the other, it doesn't get
retrieved without a "time out", or at least points off).

It is very important that shared lunches be disallowed for
the test period, unless they plan on commuting in to
socialize for lunch anyway, or lunch will turn into a
meeting to work around the ground rules.

If you have multiple doors, and fire codes permit it, you
should consider seperating the offices set aside for this
purpose from the rest of the company using cube walls or
some other physical partitioning scheme.

It's very important that you not hold the productivity of
the employee, or their manager, against them for the test
period, when it comes time to evaluate the employee.  This
also needs to be one of the ground rules.

Doing it this way permits you several advantages over a
"small test" for real telecommuting:

o	You can determine which people are telecommuters,
	and which ones can't really work that way, by
	each time they violate the ground rules of "not
	being there"; it's not necessary to tell them
	that that is what you are measuring, as long as
	you firmly repeat the ground rules up front.

o	You can determine the managers who are incapable of
	dealing with telecommuters, the same way.  Managers
	who have to "look in" on the employees (the office
	door should be shut, and if ther is a window into
	the office proper, there should be blinds installed
	and drawn to prevent visual reassurance), or who
	feel the need for "face time" to be sure that they
	have communicated what they need to to the employee
	are not going to be satisfied with telecommuting
	employees.  They will tend to evaluate them lower
	compared to other employees, and they will feel less
	regard for them than on site employees, when or if
	it becomes time to let someone go.

	Note:	This is a risk that telecommuting employees
		should be aware of, as well.

o	Being in the "test group" is not considered a "perk"
	given only to the people chosen, since there's none
	of the physical advantages to actually telecommuting
	other than the decrease in lines of communication
	perhaps aiding productivity by allowing interruptions
	to be budgeted.  This avoids the "why is XXX allowed
	to telecommute, but not me?!?", as well.

o	You can test all telecommuting employees, and all
	managers of telecommuting employees this way, and
	know if it will work.

Realize that you will, minimally, need an ssh server, and may
have to set up a full-on VPN, depending on how virtually local
their machines need to be to the company network.  This will
also teach you about the resources you need (28k modem, ISDN,
DSL, etc.) to permit a remote employee to get work done.

I would be real tempted to include a "dummynet" as well, to
simulate the lower available bandwidth... in fact, I highly
recommend it.

Place these as obstacles between the company network and the
offices in which you are testing, so that the pain that they
feel will be there before permitting physical telecommuting.

After the "test", go back to the "at office" for a week.
Then discuss with both the employee(s) and the manager(s),
preferrably in a company or department meeting, so that all
the employees and managers that might be included in the
program, what worked, and what didn't work.  Do it in that
order and not as a white board of two categories, actually,
or people will feel obligated to contradict each other on
benefit vs. cost, which can be different from different
points of view.  Take into account the source (manager vs.
employee), however.  This will give everyone a better
understanding of why you decide as you decide, as well as
pointing out to people not offered the option to telecommute
that it's not all a "bed of roses".

Lastly, a lot of companies are looking at telecommuting for
the wrong reasons; whether it's a budgetary thing for a non
polluting tax credit, or whether it's so that you don't have
to move a branch of the company, or the entire company, to
where the work force needed exists, and can hire people in
to work remotely that you can't hire in locally (I would
fly these people in for a two week "at office" start period
and a one week "test", using the local facilities, followed by
another week "at office"), telecommuting is not a magic
band-aid for cost-cutting or for getting rid of distractions,
or for a regional skills shortage.

-- Terry