Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

> On 3/26/19 12:21 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>

> > The current BTX 1.1 is bit rot, that value has not changed in ages
> > and tells me nothing about what boot code I am running, why do we
> > even output it?
>

> Sure, but the fact it shows up as "FreeBSD/amd64 EFI loader, Revision
> 1.1" in "strings /boot/loader.efi" shows one way we could easily embed a
> useful version number.

Please go implement the placing of the version that is used to
cause uname -U to output 1200086 or whatever from /usr/sbin/uname
at build time, which is not an issue at all as far as reproducabile
builds as that version number is the same no mater how many times you
run the build.

This is the current defining value that says your kernel is compatible
with userland and should also be the defining value for if your boot
code is also compatible.

Thanks,