Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:54:02 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Jaap van Hennik <jvanhennik@easy.nl>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [NEWBIE] FreeBSD 4.2 Install this afternoon!!!

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:15:22AM +0100, Jaap van Hennik wrote:
> Where can I count on with my fresh install of FreeBSD?
> While I am very used to the (easy) install of Linux distros I am waiting
> with fear on my Install CDROM-without-any-book

Well, the FreeBSD installer installs the base system for you, but you have to
check add-on software, like Netscape, LaTeX etc., otherwise you'll get the
base system only :-). Anyway you can install so called packages easily at
any time using /stand/sysinstall and going to 'post-install configuration...'
and then 'Install pre-packaged software...'. I think that nowadays there are
options to install complete KDE stuff and such (long time ago that I installed
from scratch...).

> I want to give it a try and afterwards achieve a complete set with books
>
> Thanks a lot for any answer.
>
> Jaap
> The Netherlands (it is raining here, not snowing anymore)

Yes I know... stupid rain... you might be interested in http://www.nlfug.nl ,
the site of the Dutch FreeBSD users group...

Anyway, good luck with the install!

Karel.
(Also from the Netherlands)