Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:31:17 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

At 11:55 AM +0000 2000/12/1, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  Whistle sold InterJets; you could have bought one then.

	Sadly, I didn't find out about them until the announcement that
IBM was buying the company, and didn't think that the business model
would be changing, so I didn't race around trying to scrape up the
cash to buy one on the spur of the moment.

>  As far as the Cobalt stuff goes, NetBSD runs on the x86 RAQ and
>  Qube things, so getting FreeBSD going would probably be trivial,
>  if someone hasn't done it already.

	I'd be interested in hearing more about this, if anyone has any
information.

>  Put another way: do you see a lot of VCR+ codes being published
>  in your local television guides, or the hardware for it out
>  there?

	I'm not in the US anymore, so I can't say whether VCR+ still has
any penetration.  I know that, as of the time I left (a couple of
years ago), they were still in wide use, and had been for a number of
years.  IIRC, virtually all VCRs sold had this feature.

>          How successful was DIVX?

	Thankfully, it died very quickly.  However, because of it, I will
never again buy anything at Circuit City.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium