Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Arie Cobb <troy@circle.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

All questions/issues of bandwidth aside, the real issue
as I see it w/ cable networking is that it is BROADCAST
ethernet.  That is, every one in your cable-division (i.e.
all of those houses connected to the same switch
as you are) will get the same packets.  Drop a wee little
packet sniffer on your own line and BOOM, you can find out
what the Jones' down the street are surfing to, emailing to,
etc.  *shudder*

Of course, the natural response would be:  What about encryption?

Know of any machine that can handle destination-based encryption on
the fly, fast enough to support 10MB/s?

These are, I think, the real issues.  Sure, bidirectional cable
is provably possible.  But the security of the technology is
abominable.  And of course, the cable folks will probably screw it
all up. So, take heart ISPs!  Just be ready to move quickly, who knows
when your local cable company might want to buy their access thru you?
Or consulting, too...  :)

Just my $.02

- troy

Troy Arie Cobb
troy@circle.net

| Circle Net, Inc.       |  global internet access     |
| http://www.circle.net  |  for western north carolina |
| info@circle.net        |  and beyond...              |
| 704-254-9500           |                             |