Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:53:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        robert@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, loco@onyks.wszib.poznan.pl, security@FreeBSD.ORG, mario1@PrimeNet.Com, johnnyu@accessus.net
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

> BTW, does anyone know if there is a secure logging protocol?  Syslog on
> UDP seems a tad unreliable, not to mention opening one up from DoS.  I log

Not on local delivery of udp packets. Nowadays, the FreeBSD syslogd is shipped
with an option -s that makes it refuse syslog messages form remote
machins. This of course does not help if you want to be able to get
syslog entries from a remote host. But you can refure udp packet
with destination port 513 on your routers.

-Guido