Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:14:30 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        Ryan Coleman <editor@d3photography.com>
Cc:        Grant Walter <grantwalter2@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Distributions" are missing from home burnt CD

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Ryan Coleman <editor@d3photography.com> wr=
ote:
> Distributions, by nature, shouldn't be on the disc... they are outdated t=
he moment they are made into an ISO.

> run these commands:
>
> These are written assuming you are in as root.
>
> # ftp ftp://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz
> This is a 50MB file. It will take some time. I have found ftp3.freebsd.or=
g to be the fastest server in the US.
> # mkdir /usr/ports
> # chown root:wheel /usr/ports
> # tar -xzf ./ports.tar.gz =A0-C /usr/ports/
>
> Capital C is required there... it will shift you to the folder you need.
> You can now build your programs as you need to.
> /usr/ports/shells/bash*
>
> This is also the most current version of the ports since you are getting =
it straight off the server.

Unless I'm missing something completely, portsnap makes sure that you
always have the latest ports, and it verifies the integrity of the
files that it transfers using a secure key.  Your method has no such
check, so I would say you shouldn't do it that way or recommend that
method to others.