Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:08:17 +0200
From:      Jim Xochellis <dxoch@escape.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with in the ipf setup in an FreeBSD 4.7 router

Hi List,

I have a FreeBSD 4.7(i386) Release router I am trying to make it run
with the ipf firewall on.

I have compiled and installed a new kernel with ipf support and then I
put the following lines inside my rc.conf file:

ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf -Fa -f"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules"
ipfilter_flags=""

The problem is that, when I boot, ipf does not work. It seems like is
not using the rules.

If I enter "ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.rules" from the command line, then it
starts working as expected.

What do I have to do to make ipf start automatically on boot? Any tips
or pointers to manuals will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Jim Xochellis
Escape Information Services

P.S.Note that I am running with security level set to 2. (I also tried
running with  security level set to 1 and -1 without any luck.)