Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 17:30:19 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rescanning SCSI-Bus without Rebooting?

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Julian Elischer:
>  |wire down uk0 then just as you'd wire down sd0
>  |then it'll be there whether or not the device is on.
>
> I tried that; no luck.
>
> There's something that's not coming across here, and I'm not sure what it
> is.  So let me just give you the results I'm seeing:

>    SCENARIO 1 : SCANNER OFF, BOOT UP FREEBSD, THEN TURN SCANNER ON
>       # dmesg | grep uk0
>       # echo < /dev/uk0
>       /dev/uk0: Device not configured.
>       # scsi -f /dev/uk0 -d 255
use
scsi -f /dev/rsd0 -r

remember WHAT scsi device you use is irrelevant. you just need one
that IS there.. (any one).
(leads to a chicken-egg problem if you have no other scsi devices
though) since uk0 is not htere yet, you can't use it (as you discovered)

You will get the usual probe messagesa as the system 'finds'
the scanner (on the console).
(assuming you have a scsi disk)

if not try the device ssc
(if you configured it in)
After that you can use uk..

>       scsi: unable to open device /dev/uk0: Device not configured

>    SCENARIO 2 : SCANNER ON, BOOTUP, LEAVE SCANNER ON
>       # dmesg | grep uk0
>       uk0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
>       uk0: Unknown
>       # echo < /dev/uk0
>       # scsi -f /dev/uk0 -d 255

it's possible that uk may not be wireable..

>    USING THESE KERNEL CONFIG ENTRIES (WIRE-DOWN SYNTAX)
>       controller   scbus0 at ncr0                     # Single bus device
>       disk         sd0 at scbus0 target 5 unit 0      # sd0 = ZIP Drive
>       device       uk0 at scbus0 target 6 unit 0      # uk0 = Scanner
>
> How do I get make SCENARIO 1's results look like SCENARIO 2
>(i.e. get SCSI unit rescan-on-open to work, as alluded to in scsi(8))?

scsi units are never rescanned on open

scsi units are rescanned when you ask for a rescan.
(scsi -f /dev/{existing-device} -r )