Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:57:27 +0200
From:      Robert Schulze <rs@bytecamp.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS umount takes ages when no DNS available

Hi,

during maintainance work, I realized that an umount -h ip.ad.re.ss takes
very long time when there is no nameserver reachable by the client (and
server). All nfs configuration is done without hostnames, so I wonder
why there is this delay (about 1 minute per mountpoint).

client: 8.1-RELEASE-p1/amd64
server: 8.2-STABLE/amd64

The hostname seems to be exchanged by client and server, this can be
noticed by warnings like the following in /var/log/messages on the server:

rpc.statd: Failed to contact host client.foobar.net: RPC: Port mapper
failure - RPC: Timed out

statd is running on the client, but bound to an interface with an ip
address not matching the logged hostname.

Could NFS be tweaked in that way, that it does not use hostnames at all
or at least will not provide hostnames on interfaces with don't carry
the ip address the hostname matches to?

with kind regards,
Robert Schulze