Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:08:32 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "KD Computers - Adam" <adam@kdcomputers.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: McAfee VirusScan for FreeBSD

On Thursday 06 December 2001 12:09 am, KD Computers - Adam wrote:
> Uhhh... Windows clients?  :)
>
> Majority of our clients are using windows based machines, all of
> which use outlook, and most of the users arn't smart enough to

I bought Sophos for our network with FreeBSD servers and a mixture of
win 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP clients. Very nice and they are really on
top of things. They know what FreeBSD is and provide binaries for
a.out and elf FreeBSD. The only negative there is that their binary
is for the 3.x series and you have to load compat 3.x to make it work.

The only virus I've ever seen them miss was the "Goner". They missed
this by about 2 hours at thissite.

However, I am also using the Anomy "Sanitizer" after the virus scan
and this fixed the "Goner". If you want to virus scan on the cheap,
Anomy just rewrites any attachments you specify in the config and
puts the phrase "DEFANGED" in the file extension so it won't open.
This eliminates a majority of the virii out there that play upon the
vunerabilities in Outlook as you just don't allow .vbs and .exe files
to pass unmolested. The only problem you'll face with Anomy is that
the users will complain about not being able to open .exe that people
send them as "legitimate" attachments.

You should also turn OFF the automatic opening of attachments in
Outlook (What were they thinking...duh...).

Sophos is www.sophos.com.

Jim