Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:17:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        swift@flake.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Machine?

> Will FreeBSD work on a DEC Alpha? The machine's info I beleive says it
> will run DOS, Linux, and Windows NT. Before I spend $5000 on the machine
> I'd like to know. Thanx. :>

No.  But NetBSD will.

There was never more than a partial port (which used the Alpha NetBSD
code and added support for the AXP/33, etc., PCI bus machines), and
some portions of the console and VM code were ported when the loaner
machines had to be returned.

I have a tape (somewhere -- we moved offices), which I didn't keep
good track of because I had my 2G disk with the Alpha image on it.

I reformatted the disk Saturday because I needed more room on the PPC
port -- sorry: you should have spoken up sooner.

If you are interested in actually *doing* the port, I could spend
the large amount of time it would take me to find the extent (I
think it was the 3rd or 4th one) on my large collection of tapes. 8-(.

You should get tapes from CGD of the NetBSD project, and Jeffry Hsu,
along with my stuff, if you plan to seriously pursue this as a port
(unless you want to hack it out yourself).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.