Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:58:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wayne@barnes2.wustl.edu
Subject:   Re: fsck manually

> Dear FreeBSD
>
>     can't stat /dev/wd0s1a: No such file or directory
>     /dev/wd0s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
> 		 UNEXPECTED INSCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>     Automatic file system check failed ... help!
>
>     Help is right!  Can someone please tell me how to 'fsck MANUALLY?
> Is this in the handbook somewhere?  My system is:
>
> FreeBSD barnes2.wustl.edu 3.1-BETA FreeBSD 3.1-BETA #3: Wed Feb 10 18:56:17 CST 1999
> wayne@barnes2.wustl.edu:/usr/src.3.0-stable/sys/compile/GENETHREE  i386
>
>     This happened because of a (careless) power outage as the system
> was halting.  Am I totally screwed?
>
>                      - Wayne M. Barnes   wayne@barnes2.wustl.edu

 The machine should boot in single user mode.

 At that point, you simply enter the fsck command.

    fsck

 when fsck finds problems, it will ask you if it should correct them,
the answer is 'y'.

 If the problems are disastrous, you'll find that fsck, in making
reparations, had to move some things to the lost+found.   At that point,
it might be better to restore from a backup.

 If the problems are too bad, fsck won't have to do much.

 95% of the times I have to run fsck in manual mode fall into the
second case.  It has only been with failing hardware that I find myself
in the first case.

	- Dave Rivers -