Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:49:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        K H Tan <netline@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel for Dual Pentium Xeon

[moved to -questions]

On Friday, 25 August 2000 at 13:12:41 +0800, K H Tan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a DELL PowerEdge 6??? with dual Pentium Xeon 550MHz. Can
> anybody help me build a kernel to run SMP base on this hardware?

Take a look at the online handbook at /usr/share/doc/handbook.  If you
don't have a machine running, it's also at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html.  It tells you how to build
a kernel.  Specifically, for most SMP motherboards, all you need to do
is to uncomment the following commands in the GENERIC configuration
file:

  # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
  #options 	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
  #options 	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

By "uncomment", I mean "remove the comment character at the beginning
of the line", so it would end up looking like this:

  # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
  options 	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
  options 	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

I don't know if there's anything special about the Dells which would
require additional parameters.

Greg