Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:50:00 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <cb@severious.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@schapachnik.com.ar>
Subject:   Re: Undeleting (possible?)

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 10:54:38PM +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Undeletion in UFS is only possible for wizards.  Otherwise, your only
> feasible option is to restore from backup.

There's one other option that unfortunately won't help Fernando, but I
actually used it (successfully!) once and am reproducing for
entertainment value:

Once I accidentally issued an rm -rf command on the wrong directory, and
realized to my horror that I had wiped out the files I just spent
several hours creating (so there were no backups yet).

Since only a few seconds had passed, the thought flashed into my mind
that softupdates probably hadn't flushed the metadata changes to the
disk yet.  So in a moment of panic, I reached over and pulled the power
cord out from the back of the machine.  ;-)