Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2000 11:18:35 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL Configuration

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 12:48:30AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> thanks for the response & comments ..... I'm gradually getting the
> bugs out
> of this thing thanks to all the assistance from the -questions list
> folk :)
>
> > If you are collectiong mail for the entire apana.org.au domain,
> > perhaps a mailertable is better for you. It would contain,
> >
> >   apana.org local:
> >   .apana.org local:
> >
> > And you would cover all hosts in the domain.
>
> I probably didn't explain the situation clearly enough :(
>
> Apana is a national organization comprising about a thousand odd
> members spread
> through a number of different states in OZ, so I  certainly don't wish
> to handle email
> for that mob ..... I have a LAN permanently connected to the Apana
> Queensland POP
> via dialup modem / FreeBSD 3.2 dual P100 gateway box / sendmail 8.9.3.
> This box
> is "bryden.apana.org.au" and I wish to use the bryden.apana.org.au
> domain for all
> incoming & outgoing email.

OK, you are right, if you have a small number of machines, the
sendmail.cw file is probably the best thing for you. But you might
still think of masquerading on your mailserver so _all_ mail going out
looks like it is from bryden.apana.org.au.

> As I understand it I don't need to run a
> local DNS since
> that is presently handled on the existing POP site.

I would speed things up a bit if you did though. You would probably
only want to run named for the cache.

> > > Furthermore I've been told that "relay-domains contains domain
> names
> > > of all machines you want to allow relaying for.  You would
> probably list all
> > > your other machines here."
> > >
> > > I read that as meaning I should just list all local machines, so I
> made up a
> "relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file to
> "relay-domains"
> >
> > Does that work properly?
>
> Well it seems to now after someone suggested I re-start sendmail :)
> >
> > Also, these are sendmail questions that are not at all FreeBSD
> > specific. You might want to try sendmail resources,
>

> >    http://www.sendmail.org
> >
> >    comp.mail.sendmail
>
> OK ...... I didn't look there before because I figured that the
> FreeBSD incarnation
> of sendmail may be a bit different to others so maybe the generic
> stuff would be
> somewhat misleading

Nope. The sendmail on FreeBSD is a pretty much straight install of the
ISC product. Since sendmail has its roots as a Berkeley code, it
builds just fine on FreeBSD. The only real customizations are in the
/etc/sendmail.cf that comes with FreeBSD, but I would guess you've
beuilt your own sendmail.cf by now anyway.

An additional point, your Outlook Express there is _really_ distorting
your text. It gets a bit hard to read with the misplaced carriage
returns... but I guess it's better than what one ususally sees with
Outlook Express, no carriage returns.