Date:        Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:24:03 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        David Harnick-Shapiro <davidhs@intelenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newer ports on older FreeBSD?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 07:04:24PM -0700, David Harnick-Shapiro wrote:

> With increasing frequency, I find that when I try to make something
> under /usr/ports, the source file tarchive isn't even available out
> there anymore.
>
> I'm running 3.4-RELEASE (hey, it seemed the most stable choice back
> when I installed it :-} ).
>
> I tried to update my whole /usr/ports tree (my first and only attempt
> to cvsup something), but that broke everything -- I think the included
> files (like "bsd.port.mk") are too different?
>
> My first question:  was there, in fact, a major reconfiguration of the
> ports system since the days of 3.4-RELEASE?

There was one just recently, yes.

> The real question:  what's the cleanest/easiest/best way to upgrade my
> /usr/ports?  (short of re-installing a newer OS, which I'm sure would
> do it, but seems a little excessive :-)  Thanks in advance!

cvsup is the best way.
Since the ports tree has been reorganized as much as it has been you
can try the following:

wipe out your whole ports tree (rm -fr /usr/ports)
the use cvsup to get a new one.

Before you delete your existing ports tree I would recommend you to copy the
contents of /usr/ports/distfiles elsewhere unless you don't mind refetching
all or part of the distfiles.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson