Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:50:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Ben J. Cohen" <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Redirection of processes and of X clients

Hi!

I have two questions which are slightly related.

Firstly, is it possible to change the terminal a program is attached to
while it is running?

For example, if I am running talk, is it possible to move the program from
ttyp2 to ttyv1 on the same machine (e.g. prior to shutting X down if I
don't want to lose the connection)?

I don't know how this might be achieved, but I know that if you have a
program in the background, kill -SIGCONT pid will make it run in the
foreground (in some sense).
However, I don't see how to apply this in the case where a program is
attached to a terminal.

Secondly, I would like to know if the "equivalent" for X is possible,
namely, if I am running a program in a window on an X server (e.g.
bjc23:0) can I move it to another X server while it is still running (e.g.
bjc23:1 or remotesite:0)?

This would be handy if I left something running on my machine and want to
access it.

(VNC can do this, presumably, but it would be nice if it could be done
with X alone.)

--------

In the first case, I can sometimes use the watch utility (with the -W
option), but this doesn't work in the example of keeping talk open if I
shut X down.  Also, watch doesn't handle ^Z properly and ^X isn't then
usable.

In the second case, I saw a utility mentioned in the mailing list
archives, ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/utilities/xwatchwin.tar.Z, but I can't
get it to compile.  I don't know if it allows write access (like watch -W)
and it would leave the window open on the other X server, which isn't
perfect.

--------

Thanks,

Ben.