From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw is not working

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> > Wait a second here.  My understanding is that NAT and IP Masquerading are
> > different.  From my understanding, with IP Masq there only needs to be one valid
> > IP address, that on the external card of the firewall.  With IP Masq gives all
> > out going requests the one external IP address.  With NAT, there needs to be one
> > external IP address for every machine that wants to get to the Internet.
> > Considering most folks at home only have one external IP address, they would
> > want to use IP Masq.  I have also heard IP Masq called PAT.
> >
> > Looking at page 506 of the 3rd edition of "The Complete  FreeBSD", it looks like
> > FreeBSD uses the terminology IP aliasing for what Linux folks call IP Masq.  Am
> > I correct?
>
> No. NAT only needs one registered IP address on the external
> interface. If it required a one-to-one mapping, it'd be rather
> useless. See the natd(8) manpage. Also see RFC 1631 and other RFCs
> related to NAT if interested. (BTW, there are no RFCs about "IP
> masquerading." No idea if there are differences.)

Crist,

A one-to-one mapping is not useless, that is what I want to do at home for part of my
network.  I have aDSL, my telephone company allows me to have four machines on the
Internet at once, so I have an IP mask of 255.255.255.248.  I want to have three
different physical servers of sorts on the web, along with the a few workstations.  I
want all the machines to be protected by a firewall.  I figured I would set the
servers on a 172.16.0.1 and have FreeBSD do a one-to-one NAT from the 172.16.0.x to
the external addresses.  I would also have a third NIC in the FreeBSD box on a
192.168.0.x, doing a one-to-many NAT for the workstations.

I have a good grip on the consept of the firewall, but never worked with the
one-to-one NAT, can you recommend any good books?

Sam