Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:57:40 -0500
From:      Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com>
To:        meimi <meimi_1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server down regularly

On Sat, Apr  3, 2004, meimi clacked the keyboard to produce:
> Hello,
>   From the "messages" log, the error I found:
> /kernel: arplookup xx.xx.xx.xx failed: host is not on local network
> And warning I got
> /kernel: WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
>
> The first is I have got the wrong netmask, but the error is always in the
> log and i don't think it is the problem.
> The second one is just because I issued a reboot from my apc reboot
> interface.
>
> Also, I shouldn't say regularly, it should be frequently. It has been 4
> times this weeks.
>
> > Do you feel that it is very secure?  Anyone else
> > have access to this box?
> I am not sure it is very secure and, yes, other people can access but not
> root access.
>
> Thanks
> Meimi

In my experience arplookup should not cause a shutdown if it fails.

Are you *ABSOLUTELY* sure the others have no root acces? Are they wheel
group? Do they know root's password?

--
Bob

"Play is the work of children. It's very serious stuff. And if it's
properly structured in a developmental program, children can blossom."
-Bob Keeshan aka `Captain Kangaroo'