Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:40:31 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Cristi Tauber <cristi.tauber@sbhost.ro>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: php4-cli or mod_php4

Cristi Tauber wrote:

>           Hello list,
>
>  i want to install apache+php+mysql. If i install mod_php i cannot
>install php4-extension (mysql, etc ...). If i try to install php4-cli
>and extensions apache doesn't know how to handle .php files . What's the
>they to go to make apache work with mysql and php ? fBSD is 5.3.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>              Cristi

I would recommend installing /lang/php4 and /lang/php4-extensions.
/lang/php4 is something of a "meta" port that builds the Apache module,
the CLI, and I *think* the CGI (IIRC), if you should want that.  The
extensions will certainly build with it, and I've actually found that since
I'm a little better in PHP than most shell languages, I can use the CLI
for a variety of tasks without spending all my time reading about how
to script bash ....

There are a few things to check if your Apache installation *still* doesn't
execute *.php scripts, but I feel confident that installating the two ports
mentioned above will handle all, or almost all, or this for you.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey