Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:27:07 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEC IDE CD writer not working with burncd

Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net> types:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:11:43PM +0100, Aleksandar Simic' wrote:
> > Some IDE CDR aren't supported because they use proprietary IDE
> > additions. I've learned that the same, hard way as you.
> No one has been able to answer my question about this.  Why is it that
> these proprietary IDE additions that you refer to do not cause Linux to
> trip?  I know that Linux uses ide-scsi emulation and FreeBSD does not,
> but shouldn't these proprietary IDE additions cause the ide-scsi module

Because the scsi-ide module doesn't care about the commands understood
by the drive; it just arranges things so that applications can send
SCSI commands that end up at IDE drives.

The application in question - cdrecord - has to deal with the quirks
of all the drives. It started doing this with SCSI drives before the
standard for CDRW commands existed, so it does a pretty good job of
it. Handling IDE drives once the kernel provides scsi-ide mapping is
straightforward. In some cases it's even free, as the manufacturer
uses the same command logic with a different bus interface. On the
other hand, this is *not* something you want in the kernel. In fact,
the stated policy for cd burners on FreeBSD is that FreeBSD supports
cdrecord, which is a third party application.

Both hooking ATA up to CAM - which would hook cdrecord up to ide
devices - and making burncd work on the SCSI drives that follow the
mmc standard have been discussed, but neither has happened.

	<mike