Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:40:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jon@minotaur.com (Jon E. Mitchiner)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 Current to 3.0 Release Woes

Jon E. Mitchiner wrote:
> I did "make
> aout-to-elf" and things appeared to work well, then throughout the process,
> it could not find a directory -- I didn't write it down, but it was
> something to the effect of freebsd2/aout which I had to create (missing
> directory for "aout"), then re-ran make aout-to-elf which continued fine.

Was this during the move of the aout libraries? If so, then the obj
trees would have contained complete and up-to-date aout and elf objects,
libraries and executables. A library path with "freebsd2" in it sounds
like modula-3. I wonder if this is somehow related to a symlink in the
library search path.

> Then at one point the GENERICupgrade kernel had an error, so I had removed
> the DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE so the kernel would compile correctly.  Then
> after this, the system rebooted.  Things seemed to look good.

Did you check if GENERICupgrade was _*suitable*_ for your system?

> Unfortunately, all the problems occurred here.  Upon startup, it could not
> run /bin/sh or any other shell I had in /bin -- it would do a signal 10.  So
> I was stumped and I was trying to find a way in to correct the problem.
> Apparently it seems that some libs and the elf programs were not compiled
> properly and everything was breaking.  I couldn't get the system to work
> correctly.

Is it possible that you built this with the libc/exec problem that DES
warned about on Oct 15:

| If you cvsupped -current around 7 or 8 pm GMT, watch out for possible
| breakage in src/lib/libc/gen/exec.c. It'll compile but may break some
| programs, though it's not very serious (you'll still be able to
| recompile a functioning libc even with a broken libc installed) Check
| the revision number in RCS Id of that file; it should be 1.9:
|
| # ident /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/exec.c
| /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/exec.c:
|      $Id: exec.c,v 1.9 1998/10/14 20:23:40 des Exp $

I've deleted the rest of your message because we don't have a hope of
working out why things ended up the way they did due to consequential
errors.

It's unwise to hack a stage of the upgrade to get it to complete. If there
is a problem that is preventing the upgrade from completing, that needs
to be fixed first. To fix it, we need it reported to -current before
you hack and change "evidence".

This is the first report I've seen of anyone getting thoroughly hosed
by the upgrade process.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137