Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:54:05 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Mark Daniel Reidel <changethis@mark.reidel.info>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DMA-aware drive runs at PIO since upgrading to 5.3beta

Mark Daniel Reidel wrote:
> Hi there!
>=20
> Since I upgraded from a current as of end of July to 5.3 beta2, I=20
> noticed, that by CDRW now runs on PIO4 which is quite annoying, since i=
t=20
> was running on WDMA perfectly well before :o( My other drive, a DVD is =

> detected fine, here's the dmesg snip:

> Any idea why it's doing this? My other PC at work has a CDROM which is =

> also now run on PIO4 instead of DMA since the upgrade, so I guess it's =

> nothing specific to my hardware since I have an Athlon and a P4 at work=
=2E
> Any help would be appreciated, because burning at PIO4 is not what I'd =

> like to to from now on as you can imagine ;o)

We have changed the default to be DMA enabled on ATAPI devices. However=20
for that to have a chance to work I changed the logic so we only enable=20
DMA on UDMA33 capable ATAPI devices. This is because *lots* of old ATAPI =

device claim DMA but cant, only ollowing UDMA33 sorts out most if not=20
all those buggy devices.
Now if you want DMA on your drive, just use atacontrol to set the mode=20
you want.

-S=F8ren