Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        "Abdullah Bin Hamad." <arabian@nac.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs SunOS/Solaris

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Abdullah Bin Hamad. wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Why someone would choose FreeDSD for his ISP instead of SunOS/Solaris ?
>
> An ISP has 14k Dialup users.
>
> What could FreeBSD provide to an ISP more than SunOS/Solairs ?

Self reliance and adaptability. Open Source Systems are
becoming increasingly attractive in the ISP arena for a
multitude of reasons. If you have proprietary software needs
that would have to be weighed in the balance.

> Should the ISP run the mail server on differnet machine, and named on
> saprate machine ..etc?

That is one route. You can provide reliable services by having
multiple low cost servers as opposed to having a monster Solaris
box. A well thought out architecture will scale nicely to a large
user base. All services on a single box provides centralized
management, but a single problematic service can affect services
across the board. There is a point at which you cannot add more
tasks to single box; that point is becoming more easily reached
these days.