Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:45:57 -0800
From:      Chris Warth <csw@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   printer and parallel port problems

Greetings,

I have a HP LJ-5MP (HP Postscript printer) hooked up to my parallel
port under FreebSD 2.0.5.  I haven't been able to get this thing to
print anything but demo pages and I've never seen any response
(flashing LEDs, etc) that indicates it is even receiving data over the
parallel port.

I've rebooted while the printer is connected to the port, used
lptcontrol to switch to polled mode (instead of interrupt).  Still
nothing seems to help.

Can anyone suggest a simple test to see if the parallel port is even
working?  In the meantime I'll try to load windows to see if that can
talk nicely to the printer.

Also, HP's documentation claims that the LJ-5MP will automatically
work with either PCL or PostScript.  Does anyone know if that means
the printer is ready to receive postscript at any time, or does it
just mean that the drivers they supply for windows and macintosh put
the printer into the right mode (through some undocumented PCL
command) before printing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-csw